Tuesday, September 20, 2011

A few quotes

Throughout the years I have found quotes, heard some, and even written them all down if I liked them.  I have come across some good ones that are related to teaching and they seem to really fit who I am as a learner and who I plan to become as a teacher. 
One of them is:“We ourselves must walk the path, teachers merely show the way”.  This quote I feel has a very good meaning to it.  A teacher cannot make the student do something, but a teacher can give them the right tools to make something of themselves.  Here at Cortland, that is exactly what they are doing.  The teachers here are giving me the right tools to become a good physical education but I am going to be the one who is going to be doing the teacher.  When I become a teacher, this quote is going to be something that I hope I will provide for students.  A healthy lifestyle is just something that I can teach and it is the students who need to actually follow it.
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -- Benjamin Franklin, this is another one of my favorite quotes.  I have learned this over the years that learning is better when you are more involved.  When I went to Raquette Lake I remember one of the teachers telling everyone that he knows we are P.E. majors because when it comes to lectures we are not involved at all, but when it came time to actually do something, we were all active learners.  When it comes to physical education, being involved and actually participating in class is the best way to learn how to do things. 
Finally another one is: "Learning is finding out what we already know. Doing is demonstrating that you know it. Teaching is reminding others that they know just as well as you. You are all learners, doers, and teachers."  Richard Bach.  The last line is this quote is one of my favorites and something that I try to live by.  We are all learners, doers and teachers no matter where we stand on the spectrum.  That was something that was involved in Chapter one of the book, The Teaching Profession and You, one of the criteria for teachers one what they should know, teachers are permanent learners.  Teachers learn from their students when it comes to teaching them how to do something.  If that way does not work then, the teacher has to change their strategy. 
So to conclude this blog, these three quotes are things that I try to live by in my teaching profession.  Each one of these quotes fits how I learn and how I plan to teach in the future.  Teachers have been showing me the way to becoming a good teacher for the past four years, but I am the one who is going to be the teacher so I have to use those things and walk in that way.  I learn by doing.  I feel that in physical education, that is how someone is supposed to learn.  You cannot sit and watch something going on and expect to know what you are doing.  Some people are gifted like that, but practice makes perfect.  No matter what anyone says, we are always going to be permanent learners no matter where we go in life or what profession we get into. 

No comments:

Post a Comment